Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I red a lawyer in 2011 to help close a deal I had in a car

Customer Question

I hired a lawyer in 2011 to help close a deal I had in a car dealership to buy them out. I gave them 60000.00 to "buy in" when I was hired. I had a contract with them for a salary and a bonus based on the stores performance. I did well and after the first year I was making(###) ###-####00 a year and the contract stated that I made 30% of the net profit as sweat equity to buy the dealership..long story short, I had to get approved by ford motor company to buy the dealership and my lawyer AMENDED my contract to say that we were ready to close and if ford didn't approve me, ALL CONTRACTS WERE NULL AND VOIDED..so then ford didn't approve me and I lost everything except my down payment..why he did this I don't know..i was distraught..had marital problem after, had to go on depression meds..hired the lawyer again to give him a chance and he was handling a closing..i gave a 10000.00 deposit..its been a year andcome to find out like 2 weeks ago, the company that is selling the property never filed federal or state taxes..i could of never closed on the property and he has known for like 6 months..my question is,can I sue him for malpractice? and what are my chances to win? I would sue him for my lost income for 3 years, my lost sweat equity..so around 1.5 million
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation. To clarify, can you tell me how you think your attorney failed you in this lawsuit? That they have not filed anything within a year and the business has since gone under? Or what, exactly?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.