Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I have a problem with a family member and he has been

Customer Question

I have a problem with a family member and he has been posting lies on Facebook about me have HIV and STDs which are not true and has been threatening me.... What can I do to get him to stop legally...
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.
You can sue them for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.
If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:
1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;
2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;
3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and,
4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.
This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in this matter.
If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:
http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx
It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.
I hope this is helpful to you.  If you have follow up questions feel free to ask.  It is never a problem.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?