Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What is considered a reasonable amount of time HOA to repair

Customer Question

What is considered a reasonable amount of time for my HOA to repair water damage in my unit. The water originated in the neighboring unit, contaminated with feces. The unit owner is uninsured and hasn't paid the $5,000 deductible to the HOA. I have been out of my unit for a little over a month as it has been condemned. Thank you. JoAnn Berisford
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
If the bylaws state a number of days, then this is what is to be followed.
If they do not, then there is no specific number - if this was the HOA's responsibility and they did not perform, then they are liable at the time of the incident. Regardless, if one wishes to give them a reasonable amount of time (in order to shore up a case later if the HOA does not perform), then 3-5 days would be seen as reasonable in such a situation, arguably.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.