Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was looking at your answer about suing a us congressman. I

Customer Question

david I was looking at your answer about suing a us congressman. I feel the republican members of the committee of the Benghazi are using taxpayer money to go after hiliary Clinton and I feel that is wrong and illegal with my and your money and I would like to know if I can sue to see there financial records and where they are paying money for and to whom!!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The financial records of all elected members of congress are public record and they must submit financial reports annually that show their income and also all of their donations. You would be able to see that information through the Clerk of the House of Representatives page: http://clerk.house.gov/public_disc/financial-search.aspx and the Senate Ethics committee: http://www.ethics.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/financialdisclosure?p=overview

As far as suing a politician for their actions in the performance of their elected duties, this is called a "political question" and the constitutional separation of powers prevents the court from intervening in any case or controversy that is a political question. It is a political question because congress has the right to conduct investigations of the nature you are describing and the way to voice your displeasure is at the voting polls by voting out those members you believe are not performing their duties the way you want them to perform.