Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

IF SOME FALSELY REPORTS TO FAMILY COURT LIES WITH NO PROOF

Customer Question

IF SOME FALSELY REPORTS TO FAMILY COURT LIES WITH NO PROOF OF GUILT IS THAT SLANDER? AND IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS PUT ON PAPER SLANDERING REMARKS TO A COURT IS THAT SLANDER. I HAVE ALL THE PAPERS ACCUSING ME OF THINGS HE PUT NO PROOF TO HIS CLAIMS. I AM TRYING TO FIND A LAWYER IN MY AREA TO HELP ME BUT FINDING NONE.
THANK YOU TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
In New York, an action for defamation of character arises when a person, out of negligence or malice makes a false statement to a third party which causes a special harm to the plaintiff. If it is a written statement, it is libel. If a verbal statement, it is slander.
Did these comments result in case against you? What has happened with that case? If there has been no case, what special damages have resulted as a direct result of the statements?
If these comments were sworn statements in a court proceeding, then this is perjury rather than defamation. But one way or the other, the outcome of the family court proceedings will determine whether there is a case because if the allegations when litigated prove to be true, there's no cause of action.