Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I cosigned a car loan with my husband. We are now divorced.

Customer Question

I cosigned a car loan with my husband. We are now divorced. I am not on the title, but still on the loan. Am I still legally liable if he were to get into an accident and he severly injurs or kills someone. Would there be a difference if he is under the influence o alcohol? The car is insured only under his name.
Thank you, Marina
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

No here if you are not on the title you have no legal liability in the case of an accident on his part.Your only liability is to the lender if he were to default on the note.But as far as wrecks or other harm you have no liability at all as you no longer have title or ownership.

I am so sorry you had to go through the divorce here.I wish you the best.You don't have to worry about wrecks or injuries from the car.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are through it is always sincerely appreciated.