Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am part owner of a piece of property in the state of

Customer Question

Good evening.
I am part owner of a piece of property in the state of Florida. The title of the property is under two names, my name and my cousins business name, 50% owners each party. I do not live in Florida but I have tried to split the property in two so that I can have one title or deed drawn on my name and the other section have a deed drawn to the other party's name. The property is composed of a piece of land, a house and a shop. And an orange grove. My cousin, who owns the other part has lived in the property, in the house for several years. I never had a problem with that because they are my family. But now that I want to recouperate my piece of land he is being stubborn. So being that 50% does belong to me I just want to recouperate was legally mine. What can I do, legally so that I can get my property on my name and they can have theirs in their name? The property taxes have been payed by both parties at all times.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Is the property capable of being divided into two parcels such that they are of equal value? It seems to me that the part of the property with the house and shop might be worth much more than the remainder of the land, and therefore not capable of being divided.
This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call. Let me know if you don't want a call and I can continue here.
Thanks in advance,
Doug