Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I'm a web developer doing two nearly identical websites (+

Customer Question

I'm a web developer doing two nearly identical websites (+ SEO & content) for one company. They paid 50% of the low end cost up front ($1200) and were to pay the remainder (plus any additional charges) upon completion. They were my neighbors for three years, so, I made the mistake of trusting them and voiding my usual contract.
One site is live, but when I went to make the final revisions on the other, I learned that my client changed all login credentials, hindering my ability to access either of the websites. I therefore invoiced them the remaining 50%, plus additional charges incurred, which came to about $3000). I have no way of finishing the job and after two weeks with no response, I received an email from them chalked full of false allegations pertaining to the projects.
I have my hours WELL documented, communication recorded etc. Is there anything I can do to get my money? Or at least the remaining 50%?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You mentioned that your contract was voided......so is there any contract/agreement in place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, by void I mean, void of existence in general. Since I trusted them, we didn't negotiate the scope of the project via contract and instead did so in person and via email.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The scope of the project and payment terms were in the formal estimate though. That stated-
(scope of project)
Estimated 30-40 hours @ $75/hr
Pay Terms: 50% Total Cost due at start of project. Remaining 50% Total Cost due upon completion of project.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks.

In that case, all you can do is invoice the company or send a purchase order and demand payment.....if you don't get paid, then all you can do is sue for breach of contract and ask for a judgment in the amount you are owed. If you can prove your fees and if there is any proof that the payments were authorized, then you should be in a good position to recover.