Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I own a company that has company vehicles. Can an insurance

Customer Question

I own a company that has company vehicles. Can an insurance company adjust my rates or say which employees can and cannot use my company cars based on their driving records?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
You are not going to like my answer, I am afraid. It depends solely on the contract.
IF THE CONTRACT IS A FLAT FEE regardless of the number of drivers or who drives, then no, the company cannot do this.
IF THE CONTRACT IS NOT A FLAT FEE, AND IS ADJUSTABLE BASED ON WHO DRIVES AND NUMBER OF DRIVERS (which can be common in commercial insurance liability contracts), then the company can indeed so this.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.