Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I ask a question, you have not answered it yet, I have to go

Customer Question

I ask a question, you have not answered it yet, I have to go to this dentist at 12:00 today, to settle this have 1/2 hour to get there. AS I told you I paid him $2,000 before he worked on me, now I have 2 broken teeth,
because he had to use a hammer to get the bad molar out. what if
ANYTHING SHOULD I SAY OR DO??????
JANET xxxxxxxxx
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry, this is the first time your question appeared here under this particular account.
In order to hold the dentist liable for the broken teeth, you have to prove the doctor was negligent in using the hammer. To do this, you need to have another dentist examine you and your medical records. Unfortunately, many medical procedures have side effects and not all of them make the doctor (dentist in this case) liable for damages. So to make this dentist liable, you need to prove that he did not need to use the hammer or did not use it correctly in causing damage to the other teeth and if you prove that through another dental expert (which is required by law to have an expert report attached to any legal action against the dentist) then you could hold the dentist liable for fixing the broken teeth and the pain and suffering that caused you.
Most dentists, to avoid a malpractice claim, will agree to repair the broken teeth without charge, so that is your option to push the dentist to repair the teeth or tell them you will go elsewhere and pursue a claim against their malpractice insurance (which of course will make their malpractice rates increase significantly).