CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Someone picked up my prescription without my permission from

Customer Question

Someone picked up my prescription without my permission from a pharmacy in the state of Wisconsin. It is a schedule 2 narcotic (Adderall). Is it legal for the pharmacy to release this type or any type of prescription without my written or verbal consent? Has the pharmacy violated any laws? I have proof that the person who picked up the prescription did not have permission to pick up any prescriptions for me. The pharmacy also released information about other medications I had waiting for me, does this not violate privacy laws?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

While there is not a specific statute requiring an ID check upon dispensing the medication, the pharmacy has likely violated the general requirements for professionalism. You can file a complaint with the state licensing board here: http://dsps.wi.gov/Complaints

By revealing your personal medical information (even by giving out your prescriptions with your name and the prescription alone), the pharmacy has violated HIPPA. You can file a complaint (and may be entitled to money damages) by filing a complaint with the US Dept. of Health and Human Services, here: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/

If you wish to sue for negligence, you can do that as well (but this will take additional time and effort on your part - filing regulatory complaints is relatively low in terms of impact on you, and can result in administrative enforcement against the pharmacy, while a civil suit against the company will take a much greater investment on your part).