CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I signed a purchase agreement to sell my trailer for $20,000

Customer Question

I signed a purchase agreement to sell my trailer for $20,000 cash. $10,000 I received and $10,000 at closing. Now things have changed in my life drastically and I want to give the man $10,000 back and cancel the sale. He said I cannot do it; he wants the trailer.Can I do it? Anna
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer, I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

Unfortunately, you have signed an agreement to sell your trailer. If you do not complete the sale, the buyer has a right to take you to court for breach of contract, and they will win.

You can try negotiating the matter with them, but they have no obligation to release you from the sales agreement, so you may have to find something to offer them (cash incentive, etc.) in order to get them to agree to release you from the contract.