Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I am a widower..my friend who is a widow plan to live

Customer Question

I am a widower..my friend who is a widow plan to live together. Neither want to get married. All my assets have been willed to my children. We plan to live at my house.My question is ..am i leaving myself open to any legal obligation to this woman...She is 66 and I am 77.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

If you are not getting married, and you have a legal and valid Will, I suggest you have no legal financial obligation to her.

However, I suggest, for the benefit of both parties, you consider having an Agreement drafted wherein you both come to terms that what you bring into the relationship you each leave with and that neither party will seek any type of financial support from the other. A local attorney can do this for you And it will put your mind at ease and it will also be beneficial to her so that should the relationship end, she is not forfeiting any of her assets. The Agreement can also discuss if the relationship ends, she agrees to leave the home within 30 days or whatever so that you do not need to go through an eviction process to have her removed once she has established a residence there at your home.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

If you received an invite to participate in a phone call, that is automatically generated by this site. I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site, but we can continue here.

Thank you