Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My question is can i file action agaist my in law nephew

Customer Question

Hello , My question is can i file action agaist my in law nephew that married my niece. When dating they stayed alot at my house. I had a corvette and he begged to drive my car. I said yes but to drive slow. Well he did just like he wanted to and blew hup the engine in my car. I was sick am i still am. It was a1974 stingray with T-Tops.. Now he is
sending pornographics pics that the said was me. So untrue. He boss would not like to hear these things about him.
Can anybody sue for my car and charge him for trying to ruin my
characteristics.
Thank you,
Betty Rowe Slight
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
YES, absolutely you can sue.
First, when a person borrows someone else's belongings, they have an obligation to return it in the same condition it was in (or better). That means when someone else drives your car, they need to pay to fix it if they have an accident or burn out the clutch or blow out the engine. You will, however, need a mechanic who can testify that this is something that happens from bad driving or carelessness and not that there was something wrong with the car when he took it out.
As for the pictures, that's called intentional infliction of emotional distress. It occurs when someone engages in extreme and outrageous conduct that serves no legitimate purpose and is done soley to upset the other person. There is NEVER a legitimate reason to share nude pictures of someone (or fake pictures you're claiming are of someone) without their permission. Never. He could be responsible for any economic harm you suffer, plus punitive damages.
You're allowed to seek up to $10,000 in Small Claims Court. If your damages exceed that, you may want to talk to a local attorney about helping you draft a Complaint. But small claims has forms and instructions online you can use.
https://www.legalaidnc.org/public/learn/publications/small-claims/default.aspx
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.