CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Seller/agent sold me a house without fixing a leak which

Customer Question

seller/agent sold me a house without fixing a leak which when I fond out he was cause, contacted 6 1/2 later he states statute of limits. do I have a way of suing him
for moneys lost $20,000.00
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer, it is possible that you still have a cause of action against this individual for fraud. The statute of limitations for fraud is 3 years, but the statute does not accrue (start) until the date that the plaintiff (you) discovers (or reasonably should have discovered) the fraud. (this is sometimes referred to as the 'delayed discovery rule').

I would highly recommend that you consider hiring a local attorney to assist you with this claim though (delayed discovery claims are not easy to prosecute and you are going to need to manage not only the complexities of general civil litigation, but also expert testimony regarding the damage, the cause of the damage, and the likely actions of the defendant).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).