Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am trying to buy a house. I have supplied everything they

Customer Question

I am trying to buy a house. I have supplied everything they asked for and been approved. The day of closing they asked for 2 years incomtax transcripts. After the death of my husband, everything I own was stolen while I was at the funeral. I contacted irs to have the transcripts and was told they only have 2014. How is that possible after filing jointly for 25 years. Do I have any other records to help me buy the house?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am sorry you have had to go through this and your loss.

You can try a couple of things.You can contract your prior employers to get your prior W-2s. You can also try to order the actual prior returns here.It is possible you got bad information from IRS , seek the actual returns.

Reference

Form 4506 (Request for Copy of Tax Return) or Form 4506 here not a transcript.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

Also if you used a tax preparer they may have saved a copy of the returns.

You may offer the W-2s and see if they would suffice or any communication you get from IRS..

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I hope some of this may help you.Please let me know if you have more follow up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No help.have already done that.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to get old W-2s from employer.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

And are you telling me you ordered the actual old returns they are different than the transcripts and they may have the returns but not the transcripts.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Or tried to order the actual returns..

I would try to order the missing W-2s and the actual returns here, not the transcripts.You might find they locate what you need.It cost more here but I have found that they often cannot give you a transcript but then find the actual documents when you pay more and order here.This seems like your next step here and the employer if they are still in business.
I understand this is frustrating but please don't give up here.Keep on trying to get this.I think they can locate them if you order the actual returns and W-2s..
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
More..
Make sure you are listing the primary tax filer’s information when
requesting the tax return transcript.Check to make sure you have entered your address exactly as you did when you filed your taxes.
Just some more ideas here.Thanks again.