Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Asking friend. Hungarian girl, aged 31. Married American

Customer Question

Asking for a friend. Hungarian girl, aged 31. Married American citizen, aged 74, in Atlanta USA in July 2014. The husband started beating her over a year ago. I am a witness and one instance at least is documented in a Budapest Police Station. They live in Hungary. The question is, if she divorces does the case fall under US jurisdiction. If so, what outcome might she expect, ceteris parabis. I'm just a concerned friend, a UK citizen. Other friends offer to pay US legal expenses if required.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Jurisdiction under US law is generally set by where the couple maintains their residence as a married couple OR where either spouse has lived over the past 6 months.

Thus, it is possible that jurisdiction could be available in more than one place....and in more than one country. But, if they don't have a marital residence in the US if they haven't lived in the US for the past 6 months, then it is not likely that a US court would have jurisdiction.