Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

If federal bank fraud was committed in 2008, at that time

Customer Question

If federal bank fraud was committed in 2008, at that time statute of limitations was 5 years, in 2009 a federal act was passed changing that statute to 10 years. Are you bound by the new statute even though the crime was committed before the change?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
The new Statute of Limitations would apply regardless whether the original crime subject to the SOL was committed before or after the new SOL was enacted.
I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they are unable to apprehend you before the statute runs out (leave the country) can they still impose a sentence in your absence that would go past the SOL?

Thank you for your follow up.

Leaving the US would toll / stop the statute of limitations and the statute of limitations would restart when the person who committed alleged crime re-enters the US and also in some cases, people charged with federal crimes can be charged and convicted in absentia (without being present for the court proceedings), usually if it is determined that the person charged with the crime intentionally hiding to avoid apprehension.