Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

Shopping cart rolled and dinged a car door, no police called

Customer Question

Shopping cart rolled and dinged a car door, no police called the door had other visable damage what is my liability? I live in Va
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer,

Did the owner of the car see the shopping cart roll away from you and into his car ?

Thank you and I look forward to your reply,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not got your reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's taking so long?

I apologize for any delay, but we are required to service several customers simultaneously.

You asked what your liability is with respect to the vehicle which the shopping cart bumped into. If you let go of the shopping cart and it bumped into another vehicle, then from a legal standpoint, you would be liable for any damage that the cart did to the other vehicle. However, if the owner of the vehicle is claiming that the cart did any damage to his vehicle, then he would have the burden of proof as to which damage on his vehicle was caused by the shopping cart. The owner of the vehicle would have the burden of proving exactly what damage was actually caused by the shopping cart and if his vehicle had so much old damage, it would probably be next to impossible for him to prove which part of the damage was actually caused by the shopping cart. If the owner tries to extort money from you, then tell him to take his car to a mutually agreeable body shop and have them determine what damage, if any, was really new damage caused by the shopping cart and which parts were old damage. I do not believe that a shopping cart can do any visible damage and any damage the body shop sees will be determined to be old damage, not caused by the shopping cart. So, by going about it this way, it will be determined that the shopping cart was not going fast enough too cause any new damage to the vehicle, and you will be legally absolved from any liability and the owner will not "have a legal leg to stand on", but you will have fulfilled your legal obligation to the owner of the vehicle and you will not be responsible to the owner of the vehicle, nor owe him anything.

IF I HAVE NOT ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION COMPLETELY, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL BE GLAD TO EXPLAIN FURTHER.

IF I HAVE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION COMPLETELY, PLEASE BE KIND ENOUGH TO LEAVE A POSITIVE RATING. YOU HAVE ALREADY PLACED A DEPOSIT WITH JUSTANSWER, SO IT WILL NOT COST YOU ANYTHING ADDITIONAL TO LEAVE A POSITIVE RATING. THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING,

KINDEST REGARDS,

ANDREA

I see that you have had the opportunity to review my Answer. Is there anything else I can Answer for you, or clarify ? There is no charge for follow up questions. If not, please be kind enough to leave a positive rating for my Answer. Leaving a positive rating will not cost you anything additional, but it is the only way that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you. Thank you for understanding,
Kindest Regards,
ANDREA