Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I receive social security benefits since I am 65 years of

Customer Question

I receive social security benefits since I am 65 years of age from the US and the Netherlands (I am a dutch citizen and a legal resident). Is there an agreement between both countries regarding cutting both benefits?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
Yes there is here is reference from Social Security about it.
"An agreement effective November 1, 1990, between the United States and the Netherlands improves social security protection for people who work or have worked in both countries. It helps many people who, without the agreement, would not be eligible for monthly retirement, disability or survivors benefits under the social security system of one or both countries. It also helps people who would otherwise have to pay social security taxes to both countries on the same earnings.
The agreement covers social security taxes (including the U.S. Medicare portion) and social security retirement, disability and survivors benefits. It does not cover benefits under the U.S. Medicare program or Supplemental Security Income program.
Before the agreement, employees, employers and self-employed people could, under certain circumstances, be required to pay social security taxes to both the United States and the Netherlands for the same work.
Under the agreement, if you work as an employee in the United States, you normally will be covered by the United States, and you and your employer will pay Social Security taxes only to the United States. If you work as an employee in the Netherlands, you normally will be covered by the Netherlands, and you and your employer pay social security taxes only to the Netherlands."
If you paid in here in the Netherlands pre 1990 you may be able to draw from both places, otherwise the law here only taxes you for one and allows you to draw from one.
These are the highlights here.
Reference to the complete web site..
http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/netherld.html
The trade off here is that you only pay only taxes to one system and you only receive benefits from one as set out above.If your employer was in the Us you receive US social security benefits here.If your employer was in the Netherlands you receive benefits from there but not both.
The idea is you only pay taxes to one or the other under the law and then receive benefits from the one you paid taxes too.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.