Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is it illegal to talk about litigation

Customer Question

Is it illegal to talk about litigation
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Can you give more details to put your question in context so that I can see what you mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you are involved in litigation you can't talk about it?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Unless a judge orders you not to discuss certain aspects of the case, such as when you're sitting on a jury and told you can't talk about the case except with other jurors -- in which case you could get held in contempt -- there's nothing illegal in talking about the case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay to be specific I am involved involved in litigation would it be wrong of me to discuss the case with others?? Also during discovery can they request private messages and social media?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
How are you involved in litigation? That is, are you the defendant or the plaintiff? Are you on the jury? Are you a witness? Are you represented by counsel? Who are the "others?" People not involved in the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am plaintiff. Others not involved.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
you can talk about your case to others. It may be unwise, as you never know what may get back to the other side, but it's not illegal. And, yes, if the information that the other side is asking for in discovery is relevant to the litigation, then the other side will ask for it.
I wish you the best of luck with your case.