CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

There's had been a TRO against me and I wanted to know if

Customer Question

There's had been a TRO against me and I wanted to know if there is a best lawyer in Honolulu Hawaii.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer, I am not permitted to provide a specific referral on this forum, however, I can provide you with several resources that can help you select an attorney to represent you in defending against a TRO.

There are 2 options for types of attorneys to represent you in a TRO. Both a criminal defense attorney, and a civil litigation attorney, can defend you in a TRO proceeding (the reason is that there is a lot of overlap here, this is a civil proceeding, but the issues that arise in it, and the courtroom arguments are well within the criminal defense attorney's purview). (I practice civil litigation and have defended several of these, but I know of several of my colleagues in the criminal defense bar that defend them as well).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

When selecting an attorney, make sure you feel comfortable with the lawyer you are going to hire, so do take advantage of a consultation with the lawyer, and discuss the matter. A good attorney will discuss the case, the risks (there is always risk in litigation, so be wary of an attorney that refers to a case as a "slam dunk" or similar absolutisms), and will try to give you a good idea of the costs (defending a TRO is not a lengthy or prolonged litigation matter, so this should have a finite cost range attached to it).