Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

JUST WAS CONTACTED ON A CHILD THATS MINE...THRU ANCESTRY.COM

Customer Question

JUST WAS CONTACTED ON A CHILD THATS MINE...THRU ANCESTRY.COM FROM DNA TEST.....I DO BELIEVE THIS TO BE TRUE....HES 20YRS OLD,IN COLLEGE,DOIN WELL. MY QUESTION IS AM I LIABLE FOR BACKPAY SOMEHOW? THIS IS MY 1ST KNOWLEDGE OF THIS SUITAION.MY INTENSIONS ARE TO MEET HIM AND GIVE HIM CLOSURE OR NEW RELATIONSHIP
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
If you were never aware that your are the Biological Father, then generally the courts will not order any back support. They will only order it forward from the date of filing. In most states, the age of emancipation to stop child support is 18. If the Mother were to file a Petition for Child Support, she would need to prove that you had knowledge of the child and that you also knew you are the biological Father.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.
If you received an invite to participate in a phone call, that is automatically generated by this site. I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site, but we can continue here.
Thank you