Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I LIVE IN ,IL. I AM 73YRS. OLD. I LIVE ALONE IN A RENTED

Customer Question

MY NAME IS***** LIVE IN XXX,IL. I AM 73YRS. OLD. I LIVE ALONE IN A RENTED HOUSE AND AM IN FAILING HEALTH. I HAD MY ADULT SON COME STAY WITH ME TO HELP ME AROUND THE HOUSE, MY RENT IS ALWAYS PAID ON TIME ALL THE UTILIES ARE ALL PAID ON TIME, I HAVE ALWAYS KEPT THE HOUSE UP INSIDE AN OUT, CLEAN AND NEAT. I PAY 550.00 PER MONTH FOR RENT THIS IS A THREE BEDROOM HOME IN THE COUNTRY. WHEN MY HUSBAND AND I FIRST MOVED IN WE TOOK GOOD CARE OF THE HOUSE AND PUT OUR OWN MONEY INTO FIXING THINGS MY HUSBAND PASSED AWAY 5 YEARS AGO AND SINCE THEN MY THREE SONS HAVE COME OVER AND CONTINUE THE OUTSIDE AND HELPED WITH ANYTHING I NEEDED TO BE FIXED ON THE INSIDE I CONTINUE TO PAY MY BILLS ON TIME. SINCE MY SON WAS STAYING HERE WHICH HAS ONLY BEEN FOR 3 WEEKS. THE OWNER CAME AND TALKED TO MY SON AND SAID HE COULD NOT STAY HERE AN TO BE OUT IN TWO WEEKS CAN SHE DO THIS?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The answer that I will provide is not favorable, so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Legally the landlord can limit who stays on the property. If your son is not listed as a formal 'occupant' in the lease, or is not a co-tenant, he can be barred from remaining on the property. It sounds as if the landlord wants them off the property so that they later cannot claim occupancy rights (once they are occupants, they cannot be removed and need to be evicted via court order), or wants to add them as formal occupants, probably for more money. But in either case the landlord can limit them from not staying on the property.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.