Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My landlord is trying to evict me based on outrageous and

Customer Question

My landlord is trying to evict me based on outrageous and slanderous charges (health hazard, etc.). Unfortunately after I spent 2000 dollars on one lawyer, I am broke and have to represent myself. Moreover the judge assigned to my case has a very bad reputation (probably the worst in NY). Two hearings already took place and the trial is in two weeks. I know you cannot ask for another judge and I wish my lawyer had requested a jury trial. I am very pessimistic and fear I will be on the street (I am 68 years old). Is it too late to request a jury trial?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, you must request a jury trial in your initial pleading/initial filing (complaint) in order to be entitled to one. That said, you can still file a motion and request a jury trial, but it is up to the judge's discretion as to whether or not to grant it.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If you want to attempt this, you should try to get a motion for a jury trial filed first thing next week in order to give you the best chance and the most time to get it approved.