RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

We went to beach ,and we made a small fire but the police

Customer Question

we went to beach ,and we made a small fire but the police came and gave us a fine for it. The ticket said we were a complaining witness.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

A complaining witness is the alleged victim in a matter. For example, in a domestic violence case, the complaining victim would be the spouse/partner who was assaulted. The complaining witness therefore in your case wouldn't be you (you're not complaining about the small fire you set) but the person who called the police to complain, or the police themselves, if an officer was the one to see the fire and issue the citation. Why they called you the complaining witness doesn't make much sense.

What exactly was your legal question that I could assist you with? Also, can you tell me what state this was in, and what the actual charge on the ticket is?