CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

IGuess this would be family court as never did this before i

Customer Question

iGuess this would be family court as never did this before i would like to know how i can money back from some on e My husband passed away and i went to this company and had them look at how i wanted the coplen done the man saidm he could do it sor 2 thousand dollars which i had to pay down 1000.00 he would never write up a concotract he told me they were finished my daughter and i went to see as i had gave him the other 1000.00 my daughter told them to stop what was left it was a mess she has taken pictures she does all my busness for me i gave her power as im disable a man that could do a disable person 75 is not much of a man we have ofter to let him keep 500.00 for the mess they made i have sent restered letters but he want get yp with me or daughter i haop you will be able to make this out as this is my first time trying to do this on computer
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

This is a billing dispute (complaint over applicability of charges). There is a series of escalating things you can do to deal with this situation. (Based on your description, the first two may not apply, but I want to provide all of the potential remedies in the event that they may help you solve this issue short of filing a lawsuit).

• *First: start with the company's customer service and dispute the claim. Keep your complaint in writing. If you speak to someone by phone, follow up promptly with a "confirmation letter" (see my note below).
  • *Second: (you can do this at the same time), if you paid by credit card (not debit card) you can open a dispute with your credit card carrier (follow the instructions with your credit card company). (Some banks do allow for charge disputes on your debit card - but not all, the laws are not the same and debit card purchases do not have the same protections, if you paid by debit card, contact your bank and see if they do have dispute resolution remedies).
  • *Third: open a dispute with the BBB. The BBB offers consumer dispute resolution that is fast, free to consumers, and is usually effective, they have no enforcement authority, but all BBB disputes result in a public report regarding resolution so businesses do respond to them. You can open a BBB dispute here: bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started
  • *Fourth: if you believe that the company is acting fraudulently (not just charging high rates), you can report them to the state Attorney General. The AG's office does not prosecute individual claims (so they will not get your money back for you), but they will investigate and potentially take administrative and/or criminal action against the company.
  • *Finally: you can file a small claims action against them for breach of contract. Small claims actions take approximately 3-8 months to go to trial. There is no guarantee of success in these disputes, but filing a small claims action does open an opportunity to negotiate a resolution (in addition to the above opportunities and can lead to mediation - many courts offer mediation programs for their small claims docket).
  • Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.

Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.

I wish you the best of luck with this dispute, and hopefully a speedy resolution.