Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can the president of a non profit organization change focus

Customer Question

Can the president of a non profit organization change focus an remove volunteers who have been performing a service to the group?
The volunteers who have been finding wineries for our wine socials have been given a letter stating that we are going another way and their services are no longer needed. They were never installed as a committee, just asked to visit wineries and sign them up to come to our non profit restaurant.
The new plan is to use a committee instead of these two.
Does RR say anything about this?
Our bylaws say the ad hoc committees serve at the pleasure of the president.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am afraid so. Volunteers are not owed anything by the company unless it is via contract (and most volunteers do not work on contracts that "guarantee" their time with the company). As such, volunteers may be let go by the company at the discretion of the company, for any reason, generally speaking.
This is true whether or not the power to let someone go is formally or not formally vested in the President. Provided that he is acting with granted authority by the company, he can make this decision.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to support the president on her decision to take these two from their volunteer jobs as the folks who find wineries to do little presentations at our non profit restaurant. Do you have some Robert's Rules or legal language that she can present at the board meeting.
She wants them out and wants to institute a "wine committee" to replace them.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
You may find the following link helpful:
http://www.rulesonline.com/rror-06.htm
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please write a statement which outlines the ability of the president of a non profit to remove a volunteer from a position.
I am not the volunteer who is being removed.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Example:
"Unless the bylaws or other governing documents expressly prohibit it, the President of a corporate entity - profit or non profit - has the express, implied, and/or apparent agency to remove a volunteer who is associated with the company."