ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I have received a legal letter accusing me of harassment and

Customer Question

I have received a legal letter accusing me of harassment and threatening arrest . I have been in a dispute with a contractor to whom I paid $80,000 for a parcel of land that I am unable to sell because I signed a deed without knowing of the consequences. The property was represented as 4.25 acres, when in reality there are only 2 usable acres. The deed stipulates that no house shall be built on the property because the contractor and his wife do not want to see a house from their property. I have repeatedly requested that the lien be removed so that I may be able to sell . I have been attempting to get an answer for 7 months regarding permission to sell my property due to extreme hardship. I have called several times since October 21014 and sent 1 letter . What recourse do I have to avoid going to jail?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I assume that it's the recipient threatening arrest. It's unlikely that you would actually be arrested, as an arrest requires probable cause that a crime in fact occurred. If this person never told you not to call or write (that is, did not respond one way or the other) then there would be no issue that he could bring against you. But if there was a statement to not contact him again, etc... then your only recourse (if any) would be to take it to court. Again, harassment requires harassing behavior and an intent to harass. You have no right to communicate with him or force him to communicate with you. If you have a claim for fraud or a breach of contract (or some other legal action) that would need to be brought in court. But repeated communications without permission could be seen as harassment, and the only way to avoid going to jail would be to cease them upon request / demand.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!