Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My son was picked up one night after having a couple drinks

Customer Question

my son was picked up one night after having a couple drinks with friends, he was walking and with 2 other guys. Cop pulled up he ran cause he was under age drinking and he got scared. The other 2 guys, were going up and down the driveways checking to see if cars were open, now they have them on camera doing this, but they have my son walking and not doing it. They even admitted to me he wasn't doing anything but walking. So we went to court, he was slapped with 700.00 fine which he paid. Now week later detective calls says my son needs to come in and get finger printed, for that night, he has another charge on him. Should it have been all done the firs court appearance or is this correct?? I feel like someone messed something up and is trying to cover his but?? Should I seek legal counsel for him. Thanks
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Unfortunately, no. It did not all need to be done at the same time. The police, obviously, continued to investigate the criminal act of the boys trying to get into unlocked vehicles and have only now come to a conclusion by way of that investigation that there is enough evidence to charge your son, too. Of course, I have no idea what that evidence is. But because the statute of limitations for prosecution of such crimes is 5 years, they are able to bring the charges within the 5 years after the alleged offense occurred.

I suggest that you need to at least consider consulting with a local criminal defense attorney and have them accompany your son to be fingerprinted. If you cannot get a local attorney at this time, I suggest your son does not want to participate in any interrogation the police may conduct to have him answer questions in this regard. He should have a local attorney with him while being questioned.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

If you received an invite to participate in a phone call, that is automatically generated by this site. I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site, but we can continue here.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I wish it was better news at this time. But remember, he does not have to talk to anyone about anything with out an attorney. Thanking you in advance for a positive rating.