Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I got divorced 2 years ago and at the divorce my ex was

Customer Question

I got divorced 2 years ago and at the divorce my ex was ordered to take over my credit card with a balance of $10.000. I recently checked my credit report and found out that he raised the balance to almost $22.000. He is ruining my credit. I called the credit card company but they are not willing to take my name of the card even though he is the primary card holder. What can I do about this?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Unfortunately, your credit card company is not required to remove your name and the family law court cannot force the creditor to do so as it has no jurisdiction over the creditor. BUT, if your ex has violated to order, failed to pay, failed to pay the debt off within a specified time, etc., then you could file to hold him in contempt.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If he is making payments as required, but is just driving the balances up higher and higher - - which in turn is destroying your credit - - you could file a motion with the court and ask the judge to order your ex to re-finance the debt/transfer the debt to another account that is in his name only.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

That's really the simplest solution for you in order to remove your name from the debt and have it placed squarely on his shoulders.........so that'd be the best place to start.