Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Chase checking account hacked than a year.,..am disabled and

Customer Question

Chase checking account hacked for more than a year.,..am disabled and elderly and haven't been able to check the account until this month. Chase will reimburse me for the last 60 days, but prior to that they can do nothing., I have lost approx $24K plus, What can I do to get help in getting this money back.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Do you have any idea who hacked into your account? Have you made a police report?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have some idea about some of the chaRGES BUT NOT ALL. HAVE NOT YET FILED POLICE REPORT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RU THERE
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.
This is a matter for law enforcement. Once they find this person(s) if they can bring him to justice, you can have him or her prosecuted and get restitution for the amount stolen from your account and/or you could simply sue him for the money.
Apart from that, unreimbursed losses due to being the victim of a crime are tax deductible, so you want to make sure you report the offenses to your police on those grounds too.
Why did Chase say they were only reimbursing you for 60 days of this? Did Chase at any time alert you to irregular activity going on in your account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CHASE CLAIMS FED GOVT ONLY ALLOWS THEM TO GO BACK 60 DAYS. CONSUMER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PRIOR FRAUD.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
If you wait too long, the laws protect the bank. If your account is hacked and you pick it up and report it within 2 days, you bear no more than $50 liability for your losses. After two days, and up to 60 days, your maximum liability climbs to $500. Waiting longer than that means you cannot recover for any losses outside of the 60-day period.
You can see this in the Federal Reserve Bank's Regulation E Section 205.6.
So getting the police report back and working with them to get your hacker prosecuted is your best bet for further recovery.