Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My friend just plead no contest to a family violence charge.

Customer Question

My friend just plead no contest to a family violence charge. He got 1 year probation, no violent contact. First offense.
Now his wife has asked for and gotten a protection order. No contact, 500 yds, $750 a month he pays to her, she maintains control of the house they were renting, all for 1 year.
There are a couple of questions.
Going to jail severely damaged his business (contractor). He is currently staying with a friend and borrowing money just to eat, be able to drive to see potential clients, and pay his probation costs. What does he do if he truly cannot come up with the $750/month?
She just filed to have the protection order amended so that he has to keep her on his car insurance. Is he able to file to have the order amended at any time? If not, is filing an appeal his only recourse?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Is he under a court support order to pay the $750?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That may be the correct term. The $750 monthly was ordered to be paid under the protection order.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if he was ordered to pay that amount by the judge, then his only option to get it reduced would be to file a motion to amend the order with the judge that put it in place. Its the wife already has a motion to amend the order scheduled then if he moves quickly he might be able to get his motion heard on the same date so he won't have to come back for another court date...Thanks Barrister