CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

In had a horrible eyelid surgery in november of 2011 and

Customer Question

in had a horrible eyelid surgery in november of 2011 and because of this surgery i now have lost my eyelid and have 2 skin grafts for eyelids but my eyelid does not close all the way only partially. I am still seeing this doctor for treatment presently . can i still sue him or is it too late?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to learn about this situation. Unfortunately, more likely than not it is going to be too late to file suit (the statute of limitations for medical malpractice in Conn. is 2 years from the date of the injury, see: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2006/rpt/2006-r-0583.htm).

However, statute of limitations questions should always be reviewed by a local attorney.

Medical malpractice claims are based on expert testimony, this means you, or your attorney, will need to find a medical expert in the same, or similar field, to testify as to the standard of care in the industry, whether your physician or facility's conduct fell below that standard, and whether that negligence was the cause of your injury. The same (or a different) expert can then testify as to your projected future damages and cost of medical care.

Due to the complexity of these claims, I highly recommend that you retain a medical malpractice plaintiff's lawyer (also called trial attorneys). Fortunately the majority of these attorneys will provide you with a free consultation, and many will represent you on a contingency basis (they will advance the costs of litigation and legal services in exchange for a portion of your successful settlement or judgment).

You can find local attorneys using the State and Local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).