Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

We have sold our home here in St. Louis, Missouri. The

Customer Question

We have sold our home here in St. Louis, Missouri. The closing is this coming Friday morning. During the buyers inspection, they asked to have "flashing" installed on the exterior between the deck band board under the siding. A day later, a workman came to the door and I asked him if he could do it. He did a great job, I paid him in cash and he gave me an invoice and a lien waiver.
The title company has found that he does not represent the company on the invoice or the lien waiver and they will not stand behind the work. I completely understand this. It is a relatively small repair.
I have left voicemail messages for the guy who did the repair and have not received a return call.
The title company is asking for his name and company name so they can move forward.
What are my options here? Isn't there something we can do to make sure closing is successful Friday?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I used to be a closing attorney for several different lenders and when something like this came up, if you can't get something in writing from the contractor that will satisfy the title company, or the person won't respond, then you have a couple options.
.
You can have another company out to basically inspect the work and then sign off on it as being properly done. You can have another company out to remove the flashing and reinstall it and then warrant it...which seems like kind of an overreaction to a simple job... Or you can agree to let the title company withhold some amount of the proceeds in escrow until you can get this resolved if you can't get something done prior to closing.
.
So if you can't get someone out to inspect or redo the job to make the buyer happy prior to closing, you can have the closing company just keep $500 or $1000 in their escrow account until you can get something that is going to satisfy the buyer that the job was done correctly.
.
.
thanks