Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a notice of exemptions. I usually fill out and send

Customer Question

I have a notice of exemptions. I usually fill out and send back. I have never been to court for a judgement and never been summoned to court.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question for us about this matter?
Someone obtained a judgment against you without ever serving you notice of the suit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, I never had money to get a lawyer. I found about a judgement when I tried to get a loan. What do I need to do to settle this matter.
Thank you for your reply.
You need to file your exceptions first of all. Second, you can file a motion to dismiss based on failure to serve you notice of the suit and failure to give you due process and an opportunity to defend against the suit.
You would file both of these in the clerk of court's office and mail a copy to the other party and the court will schedule the matter for a hearing. In the hearing you have to dispute the lack of service of process and that your due process rights were denied and the judgment was issued without due process.