Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I lived with a man who died suddenly and during the next 7

Customer Question

I lived with a man who died suddenly and during the next 7 months continued to live in his house alone and paid the monthly mortgage of 1210.62/ month. Can I sue to get reimbursed? The house was sold for about 50000 above purchase price by his heir who were young when he & his wife separated and divorced. The ex-wife and his two children never paid any monies towards the mortgage.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Did you actually reside in the house for during the time you made mortgage payments for the house?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up.
Unfortunately, generally, any mortgage payments that were made voluntarily by a tenant toward the mortgage of the house in which the tenant was residing at the time the mortgage payments were made, would not create any legal right for the tenant to pursue any type of legal claim for compensation, since the tenant made such payments voluntarily and also had exclusive use of the house subject to the mortgage while the payments were made.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!