Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have been diagnosed with MDR-TB (using a sputum test

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with MDR-TB (using a sputum test culture) by the public health in Sacramento County, CA. Even though I am negative on the sputum-smear tests and have no symptoms at all they force me to take 5 medications per day that have side-effects similar to chemo-drugs. They say I will have to do this for 3 years. I am being kept a prisoner in my home and cannot have contact with anyone including my child. They come twice a day to my home and force me to take these nausea and headache-inducing drugs. Anyone who had been around me has tested negative for MDR-TB (drug resistant TB) and regular TB. Do I have any legal recourse to seek an alternative healing doctor to cure the TB with natural, much quicker-healing and present the new tests to the county to prove I do not have TB and am not infectious? Because right now they will not even talk to me about it.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to get a disease specialist to come in and examine you to confirm or refute their diagnosis. I am afraid that if the diagnosis is confirmed, you actually have no recourse here and you will have to be treated with the conventional treatments. You can use alternative treatments only in addition to what the government health department mandates and that is because they consider this such a serious health risk to the general public that they can forcibly impose treatments that have been approved to treat this strain.
But if you use the alternatives in addition to the prescribed treatment and it speeds your recovery, then you could be released from the quarantine faster.