CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Applied assistance, elderly waiver father but the county we

Customer Question

Applied for medical assistance, elderly waiver for my father but the county we applied for didn't tell us that until we schedule a assessment screening our application wouldn't go back the 3 months to pay for my father's services in a memory care facility and because of this my father needs to pay privately for those 3 months but he doesn't have the money.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to negotiate with the care home for payment? Usually these homes are willing to negotiate as they take at least partial responsibility for the application process to get care in the first place - so delays that are incurred are partially their responsibility, therefore they are very willing to work with you.

If your father doesn't have the money, there is nothing they can do further to get it (you are not liable for your father's debts), so most of these homes will simply "charge it off" and if your father happens to 'win the lottery' or come into money they will collect at that point.