P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

I have a brother in law that lives with my husband and I. We

Customer Question

I have a brother in law that lives with my husband and I. We allowed to live with us because he said it won't be for more than a couple of months. A year and a half later, he is still here and has no plans of moving out. He pays rent but has infiltrated out house by not taking care of himself (not showering and changes his clothes once a week) and isn't very respectfull of us or our household. How do we deal with this situation withouth making it a big deal and not blowing it all out of proportion? He has a way of manipulating my husband to get him to do what he wants.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Sorry, I do not understand the question...are you asking how to evict him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he signed a letter to be out at a certain day but still living with us paying rent
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

The process is simple. You have to give him notice, in writing, and at least 30 days to find a new place to live. That notice is not effective until the day rent is due. So, for example, if you give him notice today, the notice is effective 1 Sept and he would have 30 days from that date (1 Sept) to move out.

If he refuses to leave at the end of September? You can head to the county court and file an eviction case.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.