Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I received a letter from Medicare that I owed over $1600.00

Customer Question

I received a letter from Medicare that I owed over $1600.00 on my deceased husband's Medicare coverage for a dialysis treatment that they
said was not covered in June, 2010, since he was on hospice. He came home from the hospital on 6/21/2010 on hospice, but hospice left on the morning of 6/23/2010 because his nephrologist got permission to do dialysis on 6/23. They left full time care on that morning. My husband had his dialysis treatment on that Wednesday and Friday. Unfortunately it was not enough to help him rebuild. He passed away on the evening of the 25, but he was not pronounced dead until early on the 26 because no new nurse had been assigned to his case. The paramedics were here until she showed up. Do I have any recourse on this issue?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, the director of medicare has the power and authority to waive any such alleged debt. You need to file now, not asking for reconsideration but stating you are officially appealing their decision and denial for reconsideration. You need to present the evidence to them of what you stated above and you need to write a letter explaining what occurred and tell them you are appealing the debt and also asking the director to waive the debt on the basis of significant financial hardship. You need to explain in the letter why it would he a significant financial hardship to repay the money and ask them to either agree it should be covered or you are asking that the director waive the amount based on the significant financial hardship.