CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I got a restitution agreement credit card that was in

Customer Question

I got a restitution agreement for a credit card that was in mothers name that they claim I opened in her name. I didn't but I am trying to help my mom out because there were a couple of credit cards opened in her name. And she is extremely upset. Will this agreement be sent to her because the balance is small and I will pay it off to get this nightmare to end.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

The agreement will be available to her (if she is the signatory on the card and the account holder). The card company may, or may not, send the contract on to her.

Be very careful prior to signing these agreements, they are admissible in court and if the card company does decide to refer the matter to law enforcement they can use this against you in a criminal fraud proceeding (this doesn't often happen, the card company is more interested in repayment than criminal prosecution).

I would recommend paying a couple of dollars to meet with a local attorney and try to negotiate a resolution on your behalf (if you want to pay to make it go away they can do that for you, but they can help set it up so that you are not opening yourself to future liability by signing any confession or agreement to wrongdoing).