Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I am a contractor and almost completed with a big project

Customer Question

I am a contractor and almost completed with a big project with probably four hours of work left so home or call me Saturday morning and that my services were no longer needed and that I owe them $4000 he owes me 17000 left on contract is not unhappy of work the job came out flawless. I belive he is just trien to burn me.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

If they refuse to pay you and lock you out, you will have to file suit for breach of contract. The judge will ultimately determine if you substantially performed under the contract, and the value of the services you performed. If they want to have someone else come in and do the last 4 hours worth of work, they can, but a judge will likely make them pay for the service you've performed thus far.

My suggestion is that you hire an attorney and send them a demand letter. The attorney will likely take it on a contingency fee basis, so you won't have to put any money up front. Also, it's likely they will reach some sort of agreement with you before you have to sue.

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they just do that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every where I have read said they can't this is first time I have encountered this

Can they just refuse to pay you? Sure, but they will lose in court when you sue, and the judge can order them to pay your attorney's fees.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I sue for more cause I had two other neighbors going. To sighn because this job came out so nice . I think this was his plan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I don't get those jobs that is

Only if you can prove that this job and the issues you had with him caused you to lose those two jobs. That is a difficult thing to prove, though.

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.

Have a great night.