Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have leased a 2015 Mercedes E350 that has low-profile

Customer Question

I have leased a 2015 Mercedes E350 that has low-profile tires. I have never had this type of tire. I turned in a 2014 E350 that had regular tires. I was not informed that that the low profile tires were subject to blowouts. I have had the car for 3 months. I hit a pothole 2 months ago that resulted in my having to buy 2 tires for $575. A month ago I was driving and went over bridge joint that caused my right from eater to lose air. I stopped and filled it with air and went on. I called my salesman and told him that I did not like having this type of tire. He said that the lease was to new to do anything. On August 7 I hit an indented manhole cover and suffered another flat tire. I think that I should have been informed that these tires are vulnerable to normal road conditions. I never would have taken this car had I known. Do I have any recourse? Charles Montalbano
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, generally unless the tires are covered under warranty, for something like this the dealer is not liable to you. In generally, it is up to the buyer to conduct their due diligence to investigate their purchase.
Now, if the seller misrepresented the tires and the car to you when you specifically asked about them, then that misrepresentation could be basis to void the sale. However, you have to prove that you question them about the tires and they misrepresented them. Otherwise you would not have any recourse other than to replace the tires and rims with regular tires if possible.