Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Under Texas Medicaid, does the state permit independent

Customer Question

Under Texas Medicaid, does the state permit independent contractors to provide direct care services?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Could you explain your situation a little further?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a state license with Texas Dept of Aging and Disability services (DADS) to provide Personal Assistance Services (PAS)and now I am in the process of obtaining a Texas Medicaid license to provide services under the DADs license.
Just wanted to know if Texas or Texas Medicaid permit independent contractors to provide direct care services.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you need any additional info?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the answer? If so, I will call you and pay the additional fees.

I'm looking a few things up. It will just be a few moments.

To what extent are the contractors going to be working under the direction of the Medicaid registered provider?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what you are asking.

What are the contractors going to do and how are you going to be supervising them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to know what Texas Medicaid's laws are, if any, that might prohibit the use of independent contractors.

They are not specifically prohibited under Texas law. In fact, Texas medicaid specifically recognizes that they may be used, but they must be properly supervised, depending on what they are going to be doing and they type of service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me where I can locate (website etc.) this information and should I call you for the rest of this information?

I don't think a phone call will be necessary. You can find a discussion of sub-contractors in the Medicaid Provider application itself, which you can find here: http://www.mhmraharris.org/RFP/ECI-CRS/Consumer%20Related%20Services%20ECI%20RFP%20%20Texas%20Medicaid%20Provider%20Enrollment%20Application%202008%20FY2010.pdf

You can see on page 20 where it defines what a "provider" is, and that definition includes contractors.

Does that answer your question? If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.