Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have a civil case against my former tenant. I won the

Customer Question

I have a civil case against my former tenant. I won the judgment as he did not appear. I sent him the judgment papers. He has not responded. I need to know where I go from here. I need to collect and he is not paying.
Thank you,
Lynda Salinas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I need to amend the judgement to reflect this cost of inquiry. How do I do that?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Is the tenant employed anywhere?

.

Do you know if they have any assets like boats, motorcycles, RVs, etc.?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I know is he works at a Dunkin' Donuts in Naperville or Aurora, IL. He has no assets as far as I know, just an old truck and I believe he has a bank account at First Merit Bank in Bolingbrook. That's all I know for sure. People have seen him around the area so apparently he lives around here still. Last known address is 714 Yates in Romeoville, IL. This is ridiculous.
Lynda Salinas
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you have a judgment, you can then file a request with the court clerk for a wage assignment order to have the sheriff serve on the person's employer so that they can withhold up to 25% of the person's wages until the debt is paid.

.

If you knew the person's bank account, you could also get a writ to levy on that from the clerk.

.

If you don't know what assets the person has and any bank info, you can file a request with the clerk for a "debtor's examination" where you can force the person to return to court and answer questions about their assets. In Illinois, the document which directs the debtor to come back for this examination is called a "Citation To Discover Assets".

.

So it would appear that your best bet would be to go after a wage garnishment order from the clerk if the person is employed.

.

.

thanks