Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I signed a housing contract in Dec. 2014 on campus at my

Customer Question

I signed a housing contract in Dec. 2014 for housing on campus at my university that i have attended for the past 3 years. all the previous years i received a full pell & map grant. this year i was notified i wouldn't get any money. I filed an appeal process at the university to be released from the contract, and filed an appeal to the financial aid office. I will be receiving now a $2,000 aid package and loans for $ 7500, this will cover the cost of tuition, fees, and books for the school year. They have denied my request to be released from my housing contract. I found somewhere to live for $200 a month which i can pay through my job.But i will have to pay $9500 for housing and not live there! or drop from the university my last year! doesn't seem fair! can you tell me if there is any legal process i can check into about this?
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

In the contract, was there any mention of grants that you were going to receive?

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

And what school is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there was no mention of grants or funding in contract, the school is Eastern ILLinois University
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Is this the contract you agreed to? http://www.eiu.edu/housing/pdfs/contracts/FA15%20June%2012%20reshallgrctcontract%20online.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

So there are two possible arguments that you could have in getting out of the contract; however, both would either requirement the college caving or you breaching the agreement and be willing to be subject to a lawsuit. The first is that you breach the agreement and the college must mitigate any damages that it could experience. I.e., if they could find another student to fill your spot, then you shouldn't be charged. Second, you could claim that circumstances have changed and a basic assumption of the agreement, i.e., your ability to get a grant, has not come to fruition.

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

The only other way is to comply with the contract by withdrawing from the University, although that is probably not an option for you.

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide positive feedback!