Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

He keeps talking about getting married since I moved in with

Customer Question

He keeps talking about getting married since I moved in with him and still has not happened. He introduces me as his wife to everyone. Can he still evict me from the house since I sold my house and have no place to go. I honestly do not know how he will
react while confronting him with a separation. I would like this on record in case something happens. Thanks.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

What state are you living in, please, so I can provide accurate information.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you. CA does not recognize what is called "common law" marriage. So it does not matter if he introduces you as his "wife" Unfortunately when it comes down to any court action that is insignificant.

If it is his house, yes, he can have you evicted. If you tell him you want to move out, I suggest you first have a plan. Have a date in mind. Tell him what that date is and try stick to it.

But he cannot just kick you out, or anything like change locks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you read the first conversations under***@******.***. I am at my brother's house for a few days and will need to go home soon. I do not know what to respect when I get there, he has been very abusive verbally. All the contents from my house is in his house. I'm concerned.........
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

You can get your personal belongings. I suggest that if you want to separate, you have a plan - a place to go and a date when you will be leaving. And that you consider not telling him you are leaving until it is time if you are concerned he will harm you.