Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I got a dui many years ago I and I told the person at he dmv

Customer Question

I got a dui many years ago I and I told the person at he dmv I got a dui and I told them I wanted to get my license she aid there is no records of me having a licscene in florida she told me I need to do the written test and the road test.. so when I paid the fee they asked me if I ever had a license I went by what she told me.and said no also didn't realize when I said no to a name change due to marriage can this be corrected? can I go back to the dmv and this corrected before I take my road test?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
So you never had a license in your married name? And that is the name you will have on your NEW license?
Or what is it you needed to have corrected, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will be in my married name as my license was before the problem is she looked me up and said that iv never had a license in florida and if I want one I have to take the written and road test,i have taken the written test and not the road test,so when I paid the fee to the dmv for processing they asked me if I ever had a license in florida going by what she told me I said no!! ..Also have I had a legal name change I said no but know I found out it was a legal name change how do I correct these things.Do I have to go back to the dmv and explain and get this corrected or am I in trouble? confused
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is my answer please.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you for your patience. I apologize for the delay. I was helping others while awaiting your response.

Yes, you go back to DMV and you tell them that you need to amend your application. Because you did have a legal name change. I suggest that if your former license was in the same name, it may come up.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

If it does, then the process to get your license changes to a Reinstatement. The means there is a higher fee $60 and also you will need to show you have completed an online driving safety course as well show that you have insurance.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi sam thankyou for being helpful,they found no records of my license that is why I took thehello sam, thank you for being helpful. my license didn't show up I have done the online course,and the written test and I am now gonna take my road my road test. my question is when they asked me have I ever had a license I said no! because
they already said I did not, question is should I have said yes? should I amend this? they are now treating me as a new driver. I don't want to be in trouble
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you know who the person is who told you that there was no record of the license and it would have been in the name you provided, then I suggest you can let this go and see how it plays out. If they then say you had a license, etc you can say you asked whomever (NAME) and they said no there was no record and you did not intent to deceive anyone. The only problem I see with you not saying you had a license is an increase in the fee paid to reinstate as opposed to getting a first license. If you want to be certain there is no record then you can use this link and pay the fee to run the check yourself

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

If you find that there is a record of a suspension, then I suggest you consider making that amendment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi sam there is nothing to reinstate since dmv told me I have never had a license they are treating me as a new driver....very confusing,should I have yes to having a license on the application? this is really what I want to know.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you know that you did have a license, then yes. But you know sometimes records get lost. So you're at odds either way. If you said yes, and they could not locate it - then what? It's 6 of one half dozen of the other.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Either way, you can say you were told there was none on record.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sam... so should I go back to the dmv and make an ammendment regarding saying no to having a lcense..I only said I did not because Emily at the dmv said I never had a license. frustrated
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I say you contact Emily and have her check again under any and all names that you might have used. If Emily still comes up empty handed, then it appears to be no record. But you should have her run all names.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I cannot make the decision for you. I can only provide information. And if you do not accurately answer the questions, you could be precluded from getting your license. I suggest there could be a penalty because you are attesting under the penalties of perjury. But there needs to be intent to deceive. And if DMV says there are no records, that is your defense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi sam, I did check under my maiden name and there is my license ,what should I do? I have my driving test coming up soon, guess I should cancel that. if I leave this situation alone for a year and then re apply would I be back to square on?..
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I suggest if there is a license in any name that it is perjury to not say so. Call the DMV and tell them you think you made an error on your application. They will let you amend it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you sam, are there any penalties? I will call tomorrow and ask to amend this.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

There should not be any penalties because you acted in good faith and you are now making it right. I suggest no one is going to want to take this to court. It was an honest mistake.