Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was pulled over, and at that current time I had insurance,

Customer Question

I was pulled over, and at that current time I had insurance, but I didn't have it on me. I was given 5 days to show it. I did, and another officer said that he would sign off on it, and give the warning back to the officer that pulled me over. I now have a traffic summary summons, and have 10 days to reply back. I was discharged from the hospital and only have two days left, I don't know if they will get it in time. Can I ask for an extension?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you can ask for an extension, but you need to go to court and file a motion for an extension in the court. You need to present proof you have been in the hospital and need more time. However, if you bring your proof of insurance with you to court along with your proof you had insurance at the time of the stop on the date on the summons you may not even need the continuance because the court can dismiss the citation right there and likely will do so.